Summer is holding on by a thread in September, nights are definitely drawing in. There’s still plenty to harvest this month including beans and courgettes, autumn raspberries and other berries should be plentiful too. Pumpkins should be swelling nicely, deepening in colour ready for harvesting from next month onwards.
Some jobs for September:
- Keep picking courgettes, aim to get them small before they become big and watery
- Turn your compost heap
- Pick green tomatoes that show no sign of ripening by the end of the month, bring them indoors to ripen or use them green in chutney
- Sow green manures
- Harvest the first apples and pears
- Keep harvesting main crop potatoes as needed
- Earth up brassicas to prevent them toppling over
- Pick autumn raspberries
- Check stakes and ties for giant sunflower varieties, as the flower heads produce seeds they become heavier. Leave them in place for the wild birds.
- Earth up leeks
- Sweet corn cobs should be…
View original post 89 more words