March is an exciting and busy time for the vegetable gardener. Seed sowing can really begin now but always keep an eye on weather conditions and try to plan ahead, far better to follow the weather than the calendar. Spring is officially here and I’ve been a busy little bee planting onion sets, early potatoes and sowing seed in the greenhouse.
More jobs that can be tackled this month, depending on weather conditions:
- Sow early peas in guttering, modules or direct if the soil is warm enough
- Sow chillies and tomatoes, keeping the trays on a warm sunny windowsill indoors
- Plant early potatoes
- Sow sweetcorn into individual pots towards the middle of the month, put them in a greenhouse or place on a sunny windowsill and keep the pots warm
- Sow sweet peas (for their lovely flowers and perfume)
- Plant raspberry canes
- Sow brassicas under cover
- Plant asparagus crowns
- Sow lettuce and radish in a cold frame or under cloches
- Carrots and turnips can be sown outdoors under cloches
- Plant strawberries
I will be posting jobs each month for the veg and fruit garden. Depending on the weather, some of these jobs may not be possible to carry out, but can be tackled another time once conditions are right.